Friday, October 26, 2007

Se Vende

"Se Vende"
You see this phrase on signs all over. Granted it is usually in connection to the sale of a house or lot. What I like is when the vendors are selling more random goods, like male goats, the burnt out husk of a school bus, or banana trees. It is not only the little signs that are interesting to read, it is also really interesting to see what the street peddlers vend. Everything from hair clips to tele-bingo cards to joke books, you defiantly get variety.
The most popular item by far is Chipa. Paraguayans can’t get enough chipa. It is really rich and filling, given that it is basically flour held together by pig fat, so I guess it hits the spot if you are hungry. I have yet to be that hungry to buy Chipa on the bus. I do like the chipa that is filled with cheese; I have not been brave enough to buy the chipa that is filled with meat. I am still trying to understand the economics behind the guys that sell soda on the bus. They bring on returnable glass bottles and then pour the soda into a plastic cup on a moving crowded bus. Why not just sell it in cans? I will continue pondering that one for awhile.
Along with the question of why I have no bathroom door. I am not too stuck up, I don’t think, but I do enjoy a door on my bathroom. It seems like my family would want to invest for the sake of interfamilial harmony. When I went to shave the first day at my new house, there was no mirror in the bathroom. I shaved by the stubble-brail method the first few days before I broke down and purchased a mirror. Stubble-brail is not as effective as you would hope, you get the majority done, but I would advise against it if you don’t want random stubble gardens. I wanted a simple shaving mirror, but they only thing I could locate was encased in a giant plastic flower. So I guess the moral of the story is that you can buy pretty much anything you want except things you need.

1 comment:

Pristina said...

OMG! dude! ALL "NORMAL" paraguayan houses have doors and mirrors on their houses! lol... well i guess that's just bad luck.. and a mirror you can purchase it of any kind you want to at the right stores.. like it's gonna be hard to buy a car on a meat factory don't you think?.. lol.

Paraguay is a beautiful country, and the most interesting thing is quality of its habitants.. they're warm people.. is a lovng.. poor but living country xD.

PS.: SOPA, CHIPA AND CHIPA GUAZÚ RULES!!!